Saturday, March 3, 2018

     Music Mania




     Although it is still very early in the creative process, I decided it might be a smart idea to start figuring out how to get permission to use a song in case we decide we want to use one later.  After doing some research I found an article on everything I need to know in order to request permission to use a song.  There was one quote in the article that stuck out to me:

"Expect getting permission to take anywhere from one to three months. Permission should be obtained before you complete your work. It is sometimes more difficult and more expensive to obtain permission after a book, film, or recording is complete".

This encouraged me to start seriously thinking about which songs I might possibly use in the film opening and start sending out emails.

    Since the topic of the film opening is life and death, I decided to use that as a focus in my songs.  With this in my mind, Three choices came to mind:

Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin

Don't fear the Reaper - Blue Öyster Cult


Dear God - XTC



The reason I chose these three songs is because they are relatively popular and all pertain to death in some way.  These songs are all very different in tone, which will leave me with options once I start planning the film opening and get a sense of the mood.   I'm going to talk to Vicente about this to see if he agrees with my options or has some of his own to suggest.  Once that is done, I'm going to send an email to the companies that own the song rights and alert you all of my progress.  

Stim, Richard. “The Basics of Getting Permission.” Stanford Copyright and Fair Use Center, 10 Apr. 2017, fairuse.stanford.edu/overview/introduction/getting-permission/#determine_if_permission_is_needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Critical Reflection       The final part of my project is finally complete: my CCR.  This whole journey has been an interest...